Friday, March 2, 2012

The Benefits of Exercise

I never thought I'd become that person that thrives off physical activity. I'm actually one of the biggest couch potatoes in all the land. And for the longest time I was okay with that. 
But then I started in on Zumba and I changed. I was a dancer from the time I was 3 until I was 13, and then dancing became drill team and I didn't want to do that in high school. It faded out of my life but would trickle back in on occasion when I was in musicals.
In my intuitive eating book, it says that through intuitive eating your body and mindset will change without you really noticing. This was so true for me. Before I had even read that part of the book, I was itching to exercise, was drinking more water just because it made me feel less bloated than soda did, and I was making better decisions in my diet. Then I read that part of the book and my socks almost flew off at my surprise. It was right! I wanted to improve myself and it wasn't because I felt like I needed to, it just felt really good.
Since I've been going to Zumba classes, I feel a lot better. I get to dance, which I LOVE.
I get to express myself in a new way, I've run out of crafts to do,so this is helping.
Last week I didn't get to go to Zumba, I had wayyyy too much going on and I picked up extra shifts at work. I felt off all week. I was sad, I felt like I had a lot of pent up energy that I couldn't get out.
The weather has been pretty nasty or perhaps I would have gone on a bike ride or something. I just felt really sad and like I was trapped in all of the creativity I didn't know how to let out. It was really frustrating for me.
I love that I love to exercise now. I'm not doing it to lose weight, and that feels wonderful.
Through intuitive eating and exercise I fit into my clothes better.
I secretly love the feel of sore muscles.
And my endorphine levels are up. I feel a lot better and I feel like I can handle stress a lot better.
It's a wonderful thing.
Since getting in on an exercise routine (and one I like for that matter) I've been a lot less of a couch potato.
I've been a lot more social.
And I get to dance!
I think it's safe to say my lack of exercise days are over. And I think I'm okay with that.

(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment