Sunday, December 4, 2011

Update on Intuitive Eating

I hope you guys aren't tired of hearing about my intuitive eating. If you are, you might as well just stop reading now. I can't guarantee that some are going to be about my progress. And hey, it's my blog. I'll do what I want!
Thanksgiving went really well!!
I was admittedly a little nervous about all of the food and its availability. The old eater in me would have been on a mission to eat as much as she could before dinner and then not even be hungry for dinner, and then over eat at dinner. Then there would be dessert and I'd eat that too and from there on be put into a food-induced coma and probably be a miserable bloated mess the rest of the night.
This year, though, was a different story.
I got to my Aunt's house a little more than hungry, so I did probably eat a little more than I should have. But I acknowledged that I was over eating and stopped. It was hard to not eat, because everyone else was doing it and that's where a good portion of the conversation was; in the kitchen with the food. I had to remove myself from the kitchen a few times to control myself. But it was okay.
I was kind of hungry when dinner came around (I can't really remember just how hungry I was) and got a little bit of everything. I ate until I felt satisfied. I helped with the dishes and then sat down. I sat there and assessed how I felt, I felt full. But I didn't feel overly full. Just comfortable.
Dessert came, I asked for the skinniest piece of pie I could get and ate it. Afterward everyone else was rubbing their bellies and grunting in pain. Me, I was sitting on the couch thinking to myself, "I did pretty good." I was pretty happy with myself.
The next day we went to Gardner Village and ate at Archibald's. I ate until I was full and sat there until everyone was done. Little did I know that if you ordered food there, they brought out a complimentary slice of their pumpkin pie cake (yes, pumpkin pie cake). I ate 3 bites of it, it was delicious. But I didn't want to be uncomfortable, so I stopped. I was full. And that was it.
I loved how I felt!
It was great!
I still worried that all of the food I had eaten was going to come back and bite me in the butt (no pun intended). But it didn't.
The other day I had a skinny day. I looked in the mirror and I liked what I saw. I felt good about me. That felt so great! I'm even starting to notice that my thighs are starting to lose inches. Up until now I felt like that was the only place that nothing was really happening. AWESOME!
I love intuitive eating. It's doing wonderful things for me and I'm sure it's done wonderful things for other people.
However, intuitive eating isn't something that's going to work for everyone. You have to be ready for it. If you don't believe it's going to work and you look at this like it's "just another diet" it's not going to work. This isn't a diet. It's retraining your body and your brain. It's not easy. I've dealt with emotions I never anticipated dealing with again because I'm not self-medicating with food. It's been tough and at times it's really sucked.
I'm still just barely getting into this adventure. I've still got just over half of the book to read. But the pros are far outweighing the cons. I finally feel better about the person I see in the mirror. I'm seeing positive change. I'm doing it in a healthy way, and I'm getting to the weight that my body was naturally programmed to be at. I'm not forcing myself to be too skinny, and then when I go off the diet I'll be back up to where I was before. I know how to stay the same weight that is healthy.
And that's pretty stinkin great.

No comments:

Post a Comment