Wednesday, February 6, 2013

And All of the Sudden. . . .

my future had fallen into my lap.
I've been going to UVU continually since Fall of 2008. The only breaks I've taken are summer breaks so I could work full time. 
For so long it's felt like I was going to be in college forever, and getting a career was sooooo long down the road. 
Then at the beginning of the semester my teacher asked me when I planned on taking the certification test to become a certified interpreter. Honestly, I felt my stomach in my throat when he asked me.
He asked me if I could meet with him to go over getting certified.
I have A YEAR left until I graduate, guys. Can you believe that?!
Well, since I have a year left, my teacher encouraged me to get registered for the test and make sure I was licensed before I graduated so I'd have a better chance at getting a job right out of college.
All of the sudden it felt like the future, which had been so far away and so unfathomable, was now sitting in my lap.
So, I'm all registered for my first test. The first one will test my knowledge of the code of ethics interpreters must abide by, and my knowledge of Deaf Culture.
I'm going to take the test on February 16th! That's in less than 2 weeks!
To say I'm terrified would be an understatement.
After the written test comes the performance test, that's where they test my signing skills, receptive skills, and expressive skills. I'm sure I'll be ever more scared about that one.
Stay tuned for more information, and keep your fingers crossed I only have to take the test once!

No comments:

Post a Comment